Technical Support Desk
Table of Contents
- The Technical Support Desk aims to respond to inquiries regarding online classes and web conferences.
- To expand our services, support is co-operated by student staff (“Common Supporters”) and faculty members.
- We offer assistance through chats, Zoom, and email forms. Please contact us through the channel that best suits you.
- See also FAQ page for frequently asked questions and answers.
Important Notes on Privacy and Confidentiality of Information
- To ensure prompt response, the support desk is generally staffed by students, as well as faculty staff. Please be aware of that fact when you make inquiries.
- Student staff have signed confidentiality agreements and handle information under the control and supervision of faculty members.
- If your inquiry contains sensitive information (such as grade information) that is inappropriate to be handled by student staff, please check the box indicating so in the form. Only faculty members will handle the inquiry. However, there may be a delay in the reply in such cases.
- If you have an inquiry where you need to disclose confidential information, such as personal grades, please use the email form, and click on the “I would like to be supported only by faculty members” checkbox when submitting the form. The inquiry will be handled only by faculty members. Please understand that response time will be longer in such cases.
- If you have any questions or concerns about examinations, please first contact your instructor or the department/graduate school that offers the examination. If you wish to contact the Technical Support Desk regarding examinations, please contact us only through the email form.
- Information obtained from inquiries will be used for replying to and performing tasks related to the inquiry. Information may be shared internally to improve future support service. Information may also be disclosed to the public in individually unidentifiable form for the purpose of introducing UTokyo’s support initiatives through case studies and statistical information, etc. Information will not be used for any other purposes except for exceptions specified by laws and regulations.
Support via Chat
Chat support is available for simple inquiries. A chatbot (an automated response robot) or a human operator (student staff called “Common Supporter”) will respond to your inquiries.
- Please note that it may take some time for operators to respond, depending on the volume of inquiries. In such cases, please use the email form or try again later.
- We use MEDiA LiNK. Co., Ltd.’s sinclo chat service. The connection may sometimes become unstable. If the connection does not improve after a certain period of time, please contact us through Zoom or the email form.
Support via Zoom
Support is available via voice, chat, and screen sharing in a Zoom conference room. A student operator (also called “Common Supporter”) will answer questions and offer consultation. When you access the Zoom meeting room, you will first be taken to a waiting room. Please wait there for your turn.
- Please note that it may take some time to enter a meeting room, depending on the volume of inquiries. In such cases, please use the email form or try again later.
- We do not record voices or videos of the Zoom meeting. Users are also requested not to record any voices or videos of the meeting.
- To access meeting room information, you must sign in with your UTokyo Account.
Support via Email Form
Email form support is available for difficult/complicated inquiries. A student operator (also called “Common Supporter”) will respond to your inquiry through email. Faculty members will take over if the issue cannot be resolved by student staff.
If your inquiry contains sensitive information (such as grade information) that is inappropriate to be handled by student staff, please check the box indicating so in the form. Only faculty members will handle the inquiry. However, there may be a delay in the reply in such cases.
If the email form is not working
If the email form is not working, please send a direct email to email@example.com. The email will first be checked by faculty staff and, if appropriate, will be passed on to student staff.
Please include the following information in your email:
- 10-digits Common ID (If you don’t know, please leave it blank.)
- Faculty or Graduate School
- Position: Select from the following.
- Student (new student)
- Student (current student)
- Full-time academic staff
- Part-time academic staff
- Non-academic staff
- Others (please specify)
- Grade or title
- Content of inquiry: Please describe in as much detail as possible what you were trying to do and what problems you are experiencing. If you referred to any materials or websites attempting to resolve the issue, please provide them too.
- If you are having trouble entering a class, please provide information about the class (such as the date, period, subject name, and instructor’s name) as much as you know.
- If the problem is related to Zoom, please indicate what the “Sign-in email address” on the Zoom profile page says (if you are unable to sign in or cannot confirm otherwise, please state so).