How to join a online class
Table of Contents
This page explains how to join a “simultaneous interactive” online class conducted via web conference systems such as Zoom or Webex.
How to Obtain the Online Class URL
To participate in a “simultaneous interactive” online class, you will first need to obtain the online class URL (the URL of the class’s web conference room).
- The URL will normally be posted on ITC-LMS in the “Online course information” section.
- The URL can also be found in the ”UTokyo Online Class Search (UTAS Lite2, UTIL Lite)“.
- For some classes, the URL information may be announced by other means (e.g., in other sections of ITC-LMS or in the UTAS syllabus).
For details, please refer to ”How to Obtain the Online Class URL (for Students) “.
Sign in to the Web Conference System
For some classes, the web conference room is set up in ways that it is exclusive to UTokyo Accounts and non-UTokyo Accounts which attempt to join are placed in a “waiting room”. To avoid sign-in issues, it is recommended that you sign in to the web conference room well before class starts. If you are using Zoom as your web conference system, please see the Sign-in Methods for Zoom page for sign-in details.
Troubleshoot Issues of Entering the Web Conference System (in the case of Zoom)
If you have already obtained the online class URL, but are unable to enter the web conference room, please check the below troubleshooting list.
Note: The below list explains how to resolve issues specifically for Zoom, which is the most commonly used web conference system. However, such troubleshooting procedures are similar for other web conference systems (with a slight difference in the error messages).
- If you receive the message “Please wait for the host to start this meeting”: Your instructor has not started the class yet. If the class does not start after a while, please go to ITC-LMS or UTAS to check that no class changes have been made (such as the online class URL has changed, or the class has been cancelled). If no such information is posted and the class still does not start, please submit the “Consultation Form of utelecon Support Desk” for assistance.
- If you receive the message “This meeting is for authorized attendees only”: You are trying to join an UTokyo Account only meeting room without signing in to your UTokyo Account. The same is true if it is displayed as “Switch Accounts to Join”. Click the “Sign in to Join” or “Switch Account” or “Switch Account to Join” button, and sign in as instructed on the ”Sign-in Methods for Zoom” page.
- If you receive the message “Please wait, the meeting host will let you in soon”: Your instructor has placed you in the Waiting Room. Please wait for the instructor to allow you to enter the meeting room. If you are still unable to join the class after waiting for some time, please submit the “Consultation Form of utelecon Support Desk” for assistance.
- If you receive the message “This meeting has reached the maximum capacity of xxx participants. Please try again later.”: The number of attendees has exceeded the maximum capacity of the meeting room. Please check ITC-LMS or UTAS to see if there are any messages from your instructor regarding the issue. If not, please submit the “Consultation Form of utelecon Support Desk” for assistance.
- If you receive the message “Enter Meeting Passcode”: A passcode is required to join the meeting room. Please check if the passcode has been posted together with the class URL. If not, please submit the “Consultation Form of utelecon Support Desk” for assistance.
- If you receive the message “This meeting has been locked by host”: The instructor has “locked” the meeting to avoid participants from entering the meeting room in the middle of the class. Please submit the “Consultation Form of utelecon Support Desk” for assistance.
Report Issues of Web Conference Room Entry
If you have checked the above troubleshooting list but still cannot enter the web conference room, please contact your instructor or the department/graduate school that hosts the class.
If you cannot reach your instructor or the department/graduate school, please submit the “Consultation Form of utelecon Support Desk” for assistance.Please make sure you select “Online Class Entry Troubles Reporting” from the “What is your inquiry?” section on the form.Your instructor or corresponding department/graduate school should contact you shortly.