ECCS Cloud Email (Google Workspace)
Table of Contents
What is ECCS Cloud Email?
ECCS Cloud Email is a Cloud Email service that is available to all users with a UTokyo Account. It gives users access to Google Workspace for Education.
The Google tools and services that are available through ECCS Cloud Email include:
- Gmail：Email service using your Todai email address, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Google Drive：File storage service
- Google Docs：Word processor
- Google Sheets：Spreadsheet program
- Google Forms：Survey administration software
- YouTube：Online video-sharing platform
- Google Meet：Video communication service
Please refer to the User’s Guide (currently available only in Japanese) in the ECCS website for a full list of available tools and services.
Once you create a ECCS Cloud Email account, you can change your sharing settings to limit file access to users of ECCS Cloud Email (limited access). This is a feature that is not available to regular Google accounts. To access files limited to users of ECCS Cloud Email, users will need to set up their ECCS Cloud Email account, even if they already have a Google account.
Initial Setup Procedures
Task: Set your password and email address
- Access the UTokyo Account User Menu and enter the username and password of UTokyo Account to log in.
- Click the "ECCS Cloud Email (password)" on the left and then open the password-setting screen. This password is only for your ECCS Cloud Email.
- Click "ECCS Cloud Email (mail address)" on the left to open the email address setting page. Enter your preferred username in the "Email Address" field and click "SAVE".
- Error message “EX-076 An error has occurred. EX-079 It can't be set for New Password because the Directory already has the same attribute value.": This message appears due to restrictions on ECCS Cloud Email passwords which require the password to be different from the old password and not contain any part of the password or username (10-digit number) of your UTokyo Account. Please change your password accordingly to avoid this error message.
Check: Log in
- Please wait for about 40 minutes for your newly set password and email address to be reflected in the system.
- Go to the Google login page.
- Enter your new email address from the above procedure.
- Enter the password you previously set.
Error message "Google couldn’t verify this account belongs to you. Try again later or use Account Recovery for help.":
- Your login attempt is detected as a "suspicious login." ECCS Cloud Email (Google Workspace) may judge unusual activities as suspicious logins. You may be able to log in if you change locations, terminals, or internet connections. Especially, if you are using a VPN, try logging in without the VPN (if possible).
- If changing the environment does not seem to solve the problem, please consult the Technical Support Desk with a note to that effect.
- For more details, please refer to the ECCS announcement "An error message of 'Google couldn't verify that this account belongs to you.'"
- Error message "Google couldn’t verify this account belongs to you. Try again later or use Account Recovery for help.":
Check: Make sure you can access UTokyo member-only pages
- Access the ECCS Cloud Email member-only test page (Google Spreadsheet).
- You will be asked to sign in to your ECCS Cloud Email if not already signed in. Please enter the email address and password you previously set.
- If you can see the contents of the page (spreadsheet), you have successfully signed into your ECCS Cloud Email. If you cannot see the contents and instead see the “You need access” message, follow the procedures in the “Troubleshooting guide” section below. Do not request access.
- (On PC/smartphone) You are taken to the “You need access” page and you see who you are signed in as (e.g., “You are signed in as email@example.com”) at the bottom: This happens when you are signed in with a Google account other than your ECCS Cloud Email. (e.g., @gmail.com, @edu.k.u-tokyo.ac.jp). Click the email address under “You are signed in as”. You will be taken to the “Choose an account”, where you can switch your account. Select your ECCS Cloud Email account (firstname.lastname@example.org). If your ECCS Cloud Email account does not show up, click “Use another account” and sign in with your ECCS Cloud Email.
- (On a smartphone) You are taken to the “You need access” or “Request access” page: This happens when you are signed in with a Google account other than your ECCS Cloud Email. Follow the steps in "Log in on your phone" below, and then try to access the test document again.
Optional task: Log in on your smartphone (for users of Gmail or other Google apps)
- Open a Google app, such as Gmail, and click your profile picture in the upper-right corner (either a picture you set or the default avatar with your initials).
- Tap "Add another account" to add your Google account.
- Enter your ECCS Cloud Email address and password that you set up above.
Exercise: Use your email (You can use your email address "email@example.com" in Gmail)
- Access Gmail.
- You will be prompted to log in if you have not already done so. Follow the same login procedure as before.
- You can use Gmail’s email service with your ECCS Cloud Email, just like a regular Gmail account. Try sending an email to another email address you have or check whether you can receive an email sent from your other email address.
- If this procedure does not work, please consult the Technical Support Desk.
Useful Resources for Using Google Workspace for Education
More information will be posted shortly.
- Information on ECCS Cloud Email (ECCS News)
- Google Help
- Reading and Writing email using Gmail (HYPER WORKBOOK; Japanese Only)
- Google Drive
- Using Google Drive (ECCS News)
- Uploading recorded video file to Google Drive (Japanese only)
- Use of Team Drives (Supplementary Service for ECCS Cloud Email) (ECCS News)
- Google Meet
- Google Group
- How to Use the Google Group (ECCS News)
- Google Calendar
- Using Google Calendar (ECCS News)